The Cisco® 100BASE-X Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) device (Figure 1) is a hot-swappable input/output device that plugs into Fast Ethernet ports, dual-rate Fast/Gigabit Ethernet ports, or Gigabit Ethernet ports of a Cisco switch or router, linking the port with the fiber cabling network.
Main features include the following:
- Hot-swappable when deployed, the switch or router does not have to reboot
- Supports the “pay-as-you-populate” model
- Interchangeable with other 100BASE-X SFPs on the same line card
- Supports the Cisco quality ID feature that enables the switch or router to identify whether or not the SFP is a Cisco qualified SFP
- Optically interoperable with respective 100BASE-X Ethernet interfaces on the same link
Cisco 100BASE-FX SFP
The Cisco 100BASE-FX SFP operates on ordinary multimode fiber-optic (MMF) link spans up to 2 kilometers (km) long.
GLC-FE-100FX modules operate in Fast Ethernet or dual-rate Fast/Gigabit Ethernet ports of Cisco switches and routers.
GLC-FE-100FX-RGD modules operate in Fast Ethernet or dual-rate Fast/Gigabit Ethernet ports of Cisco Industrial Ethernet and SmartGrid switches and routers.
GLC-GE-100FX modules operate in Gigabit Ethernet ports of Cisco switches and routers.
All these modules are interoperable with industrywide interfaces compliant to the IEEE 100BASE-FX standard.